“Guangdong-Macao Co-operation Industrial Park” Investment Project Assessment Priority Considerations
According to the Application Guidelines on Intended Investment Projects in the Guangdong-Macao Co-operation Industrial Park in Hengqin and relevant assessment criteria, the assessment of projects mainly includes but not limited to the following considerations:
1. Industrial content
• The project must not fall within the ambit of the negative list for foreign investment in the Pilot Free Trade Zones (current version) or develop commercial apartments.
• The industrial proportion and mandatory self-sustaining proportion ratio of project shall be determined according to the land utilisation and relevant policies and regulations laid down by the State. Pursuant to relevant policy: 1) the industrial proportion of land utilisation for emerging industry, according to relevant policy, must account for no less than 80% of the total, with no more than half of the area (viz. 40% of the total project area) mandatorily sustained by the applicant; facilitations must not account for more than 20% and must be fully sustained by the applicant. 2) Type-1 industrial land should be utilised 100% specifically for developing relevant industry and the entire land must be self-sustained by the applicant. 3) In terms of mixed purposed land for commerce and office, no less than 50% of the land is mandatorily sustained by the applicant.
In the event the analysis suggests that the project has insufficiency in industrial element or industrial proportion, the application will be deemed ineligible and rejected.
2. Priority considerations for recommending investment project to the Guangdong-Macao Co-operation Industrial Park
2.1. Benefit to the moderate diversification of Macao’s economic development
• The project engages in industry(-ies) which Macao is pro-actively developing, such as MICE, traditional Chinese medicine, cultural and creative industry and other emerging industries;
• The project goes in line with the Overall Development Plan for Hengqin and is beneficial to the development of the Belt and Road Initiative and the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area by being a functional project in emerging industries such as high and innovative technology, strategic emerging industry and high-end service industry.
• The project supports Macao’s role as a regional co-operation platform, especially for Guangdong-Macao collaboration or China-PSC collaboration.
• Applicant has a reasonable proportion of project development and operations, which means the rational ratio of industrial proportion to commercial property during the operation of project proposed by applicant, and rational ratio of the business operated by applicant to the business concessioned to other operators by sales/rental.
• The project is able to directly or indirectly motivate the interactive development of relevant industries in Macao, such as technology and management experience importation.
• Importation of talents who are beneficial to the economic development of Guangdong and Macao.
2.2. Relevance to Macao
• Applicant (will) involve certain investment in Macao.
• Applicant (will) possess an operation team to carry out the investment project.
• Applicant will take up a leading role in the operation of the project in the future.
• The project is able to motivate collaboration with Macao enterprises. For example, the project includes concrete plan that motivates Macao enterprises to participate in the project development and construction, or plan to co-operate with Macao suppliers or service providers during the operation.
• The size of the operation team is big enough to contribute to Macao’s economy, such as tax revenue, employment, technology and management experience importation.
3. Capability of individual applicant/corporate applicant/investor
3.1. Financial strength of applicant
Relative assessment will be adopted as bigger size of land and investment requires stronger financial strength.
• Judging from the applicant’s assets in hand, applicant possesses sufficient financial strength to support the investment and project implementation in the future. Applicant can present relevant supporting documents.
• Applicant possesses sufficient investment capital or is able to finance from other investors, and can present relevant supporting documents, including financing/funding documents between the applicant and financial institutions or partner enterprises (entities).
• Applicant is able to finance its investment project and the implementation thereof with applicant’s current business revenue. Applicant can present relevant supporting documents.
3.2. Operation capability of applicant
• Applicant has enough operation capability or is collaborating with partner with enough operation capability. Applicant can present relevant supporting documents to prove applicant’s operation capability and experience to carry out the investment project.
• Applicant or applicant’s business partner(s) has/have good reputation and considerable international recognition.
• Applicant or applicant’s business partner(s) has/have relevant operation team to carry out the project (not necessarily stationed in Macao).
4. Feasibility analysis of investment project
4.1. Rationality of the scale of investment project
• The investment project can be practically operated, judging by the rationality of its size and operation mode.
• The investment project is advantageously competitive in Hengqin. In other words, the project can be implemented on a continuous basis and has advantages over other similar projects in Hengqin.
• The investment plan suggests a rational ratio of project function to mandatory self-sustaining proportion.
• The size of land area needed fits the actual needs of the investment project.
• The investment project has its uniqueness in Hengqin.
4.2. Planning and preparatory works for the investment project
• The investment plan has complete and detailed information, and is supported by sufficient reasons and proofs.
• The investment project is well-planned with detailed and rational operation plan, budget plan and implementation timetable.